I know that the topic of Document Versioning in Lotus Quickr on Domino has caused some interesting discussion in customers I work with, so it is great that the subject has been clarified in a recent technote:
QuestionIt goes on to detail what Document Versioning is:
What is the Document Versioning feature in IBM Lotus Quickr 8.1 services for Lotus Domino? How do you use it?
* Version Types
* Configuring Document Versioning in Lotus Quickr 18.104.22.168 for Domino
* Document Versioning in Lotus Quickr 8.1 for Domino
* Using the Quickr Connectors
* Using the WebUI
* Customizing Versioning for a specific PlaceType using the WebUI
* Customizing Versioning for System Forms (server-wide)
Document Versioning in Lotus Quickr provides the ability to create and manage one or more "snapshots" of an existing document. These read-only snapshots can be used to review previous editions of the document, or to replace the current version of a document with a snapshot taken earlier. When a new version is created, a read-only copy of the document (including attachments, subject, description, and other metadata) is created, which could be restored or reviewed at a later point.The technote then covers which placetypes support versioning and how it works via the web and the Connectors. An excellent technote - I recommend all Quickr services for Domino admins digest the information it contains.
The Document Versioning feature should not be confused with the "Revision" (22.214.171.124) or "Response with History" (8.1) action buttons. These are different features compared to Versioning:
* Versions allow you to create a snapshot of an existing document that cannot be modified and can be reverted
* "Revision" / "Response with History" creates a new copy of the document that can be modified
In the Web user interface (WebUI), previous versions are listed when you open a published document. You see previous versions in the "Versions" dialog box of the Quickr Connectors.
By: Quickr Blog (Stuart McIntyre) | 0 Comments | On: 3 December 2008 05:47:17 | Tags: quickr lotus technote