It seems to be that the quality and timeliness of IBM's Infocenter updates is improving with every release. The Lotus Quickr infocenter has already been updated for the 8.1.1 release, and here we have a complete list of what's changed:
What's new in version 8.1.1The key details are obviously the first two points listed. There is now excellent integration with FileNet and Content Manger to allow surfacing of enterprise content/document management information through Quickr places. Secondly, Quickr 8.1.1 is closely integrated with Connections 2.0.1 to allow Quickr places to be a central part of Connections communities (thus letting community members store and share files - incredibly important) and for the Connections business cards to be displayed inside Quickr.
IBM Lotus Quickr 8.1.1 is an update to the base code for Lotus Quickr services for IBM WebSphere Portal only. Lotus Quickr 8.1 must be installed prior to installing the Lotus Quickr 8.1.1 updates. In addition, updates to the Lotus Quickr connectors are available for download for customers who have Lotus Quickr Services for IBM Lotus Domino and for customers with Enterprise Content Management (ECM) software.
Lotus Quickr 8.1.1 introduces the following ECM services for integrating Lotus Quickr document collaboration capabilities with the comprehensive infrastructure of ECM systems:
* IBM FileNet Services for Lotus Quickr
* IBM Content Manager Services for Lotus Quickr
This integration helps you manage and control content created by shared workgroups across your organization. Using these services, you can manage content to address your archiving and regulatory requirements and corporate governance mandates, as well as integrate the content into your business process.
Lotus Quickr integrated with IBM Lotus Connections
Better integration of Lotus Quickr and Lotus Connections that enables a user in a Lotus Connections activity to publish content to a Lotus Quickr library, create a Lotus Quickr place or wiki in a Connections community, and lets users of Lotus Quickr take advantage of the features of the Connections Profile business card.
Connector updates include the following:
* You can use connectors for a consolidated view of content in places and in your ECM repository. Lotus Quickr connectors can access and store documents directly into your ECM repositories. Refer to Connecting to an ECM library from a Lotus connector for more information.
* The connectors can be used directly with your ECM repository without installing Lotus Quickr. A separate installation program is available when installing only the connectors and not the Lotus Quickr server.
* Lotus Quickr connector for Microsoft Outlook including compatibility with Microsoft Outlook edition 2007 features.
* The latest version of connectors will be available to users of Lotus Quickr Services for IBM Lotus Domino, on FixCentral.
New table formatting features in rich text editor
Easily format tables in the rich text areas in libraries, blogs, wikis, comments, forums, and lists, using the following new table formatting features:
* Cell width, height, spacing, padding, text alignment, and table border
* Table header options
* Background and border colors for tables
* Table templates
New APIs added to the Lotus Quickr wiki.
New APIs that provide you with the following capabilities:
* Manipulate and apply document types
* Manipulate property sheets
* Edit and retrieve extended metadata
* Make post custom queries
* ATOM publishing and syndication of blog and wiki content
* Replicate document library content
Enable notifications on a place
Task notification sends an email to associated users when a task is created, updated, or deleted. Workflow notification send an email when a document is submitted for approval, approved, or rejected.
View members of a place
While in a place, click View Members to see a list of the members of the place you are currently visiting. From this view, you can send e-mails to one or more place members, change how the members are displayed to quickly locate a specific member, and start a chat with place members.
Open places in separate browsers
You can configure the site to open places in separate browsers. Refer to Opening a place in a separate browser.
If you already have Quickr Services for Portal (the J2EE version), then I would think you would do well to take a look at 8.1.1 ASAP. If you're a Quickr Services for Domino customer, then you might want to look at the features above and consider whether you install a J2EE Quickr server alongside your existing Domino Quickr infrastructure, particularly if you have Lotus Connections and need the integration available in the new release.
Either way, the new Quickr Connector that supports Outlook 2007 should be on your radar.
By: Quickr Blog (Stuart McIntyre) | 5 Comments | On: 13 December 2008 06:53:32 | Tags: quickr lotus 8.1.1